Our beliefs define who we are
Westwood Community Church is a community of faith that experiences the love of Christ together and shares that love with others in the greater community and throughout the world. While our heritage is Baptist (Converge Worldwide), our core beliefs are the foundation of historic Christianity. Everyone is welcome here. People from a wide range of denominational backgrounds, or no faith background at all, have made Westwood their church home. We are united in our desire to see our lives, and the lives of others, transformed by the hope and grace found in a relationship with Jesus Christ.
Westwood's Vision Statement
We demonstrate God’s love in creative and compelling ways that lead people to know God, worship Him authentically, grow spiritually, serve joyfully and connect relationally. We are a community with open hands, receiving from God all He wants to give, believing He wants to give us a lot. And with open hands we give it away, believing we cannot out-give God.
Westwood's beliefs are in the mainstream of churches that consider the Bible to be the ultimate authority for faith and life. Simply stated they are:
Westwood's Complete Core Beliefs (PDF)
- God is bigger and better than we can imagine and yet He desires to have a personal relationship with us.
- The Bible is God's perfect guidebook for us. Jesus is God showing Himself to us.
- God lives in and through His followers today through the Holy Spirit. Grace is the only way to have a relationship with God.
- Faith is how we begin and develop a growing relationship with God.
- God works through all things, including difficulties in the lives of those who follow Him.
- Heaven and hell are real places.
- Death is a beginning, not the end.
- The church exists to increase the reputation of God and to serve people, just as Jesus served people.
- Jesus is coming again.
Our purpose and vision exist because:
- We love God with all that we are, have and do.
- We love all people because all people matter to God.
The purpose, vision and values of Westwood provide the motivation to minister. A number of principles, driven by our values, guide our behaviors and provide the basis for the manner in which Westwood ministers. Every ministry at Westwood embodies one or more of these principles.
Our Values (PDF)